Sunday, February 06, 2005

An ode to the green door

If some four years back someone had told me that they are going to paint their doors green, i would have laughed at their aesthetic sophistication - not anymore. The green doors of the pilanian hostels now hold a special place in my heart. They were the barriers between the chaos of the outside world and peace of my room . They are the antique heroes( most of them being as old as pilani itself) who year after year of see dream filled students passing out of the "middle earth" of university education. Beaten by cricket balls, kicked by students, punched by drunkards, angry slammings, they have stood by them all.

Something about them makes me miss them more than anything else in pilani( exclude sky from this). After spending long hours in the insti, the sight of the green door would fill me up with joy, as it held the key to my private world. When i come back to my room after going through the formality of a screwed up test or tut, the mere sight of the green door would make my spirits fly high. My heart bleeds to see the new double room doors painted a kind of grey blue, why would anybody want to do that.When I close my eyes to recollect the bygone era, more often than not the image which reels into my mind is an empty bhavan corridor with the long line of green doors standing besides each other like warriors ready to go for war. If I were the soldier who had to choose between a roaring tiger and beautiful damsel i would choose the door painted with a dark ugly green any day - no matter whats behind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rosh said...

Great post! ...

Some other colours which evoke a sense of nostalgia ...

Light blue - The soothing colour of Blue Moon's tables ...
Desert cream - The welcoming colour of our Bhavans after a disastrous test ...
Light Orange - The comforting colour given off by the walls when we switch on the 100 W bulb ...

5:51 AM  
Blogger koushik said...

good article srivats!!

~~offtopic~~
this reminds me of a bitsian batch-mate who once told me that all doors of all hostels in bits were "brown" in color... guess what - the guy was "color blind" :-O

1:42 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

i guess i missed out on the door nostalgia - coz my room door used to always be open!

but i do miss my balcony in mb... especially he one in my third year room

8:59 PM  
Blogger srivats said...

Come on people, i expected more frequent articles in this blog

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home