Thursday, February 17, 2005

My college is better than yours

What makes going to a residential college such a profound experience? Nine semesters in Pilani have taken their toll on me. I've become an incurable bore. It's been just a few months since I passed out, but I've already developed a regrettable tendency to start long monologues on how life in BITS was soooo much fun. I've been known to be a bit of bore, but things are really getting to be scary now.

I'm hoping it's a passing phase because otherwise it could create a few problems. I'll never be able to get a date for one. Most of my non-BITSian friends seem to have developed a protective mental shield that protects them from my anecdotes. Their eyes defocus slightly and they tend to look at distant objects and mutter things like "Oh, really? That must've been fun" while I tell them about how my wing deflated the tires of all cycles parked in front of Budh Bhavan one fine winter night.

My story about how we tried to climb the Sardar Patel statue seems to have lost it's zip as well and I never thought I'd see that day dawn. I've tried talking about things that aren't related to BITS, but after about 15 minutes of normal conversation I realise that even sweeping my room in BITS ( which I never did ) was waaay more fun than anything currently being discussed. Once I realise this, it takes very little time for me to let everyone else know how I feel. The result is that I now have a lot of free time on weekends.

Given a choice between jumping under a moving bus and going back to BITS for another 5 years, I'd pick the bus any day, but somehow I can't stop talking about BITS. About how I love BITS. How I hate BITS. How I can't live without it. How going to BITS was the best thing that happened to me. How going to BITS was the worst thing that happened to me. How nobody could have ever had more fun than I did at BITS.

Okay. It's started again. I need a cold shower.

If any others on this list have had this problem before then please let me know if the condition is curable. As a temporary measure I've started a blog. Gushing there will probably keep me straight for a few weeks, but after that....?

6 Comments:

Blogger vivitsa said...

Yes.. same here.
In my case, the minute.. or rather some five minutes after I start , my frenz start talking about so called fun at their place.. and by default my brain starts thinking.. "Oh you poor thing.. you call THAT fun?? yeah.. but you ve never seen BITS.. who can blame you.."Darn the stupid "We are way better ..dudes!!" attitude of ours !!!

But actually things do change after a while I guess,so these days, I have actually started accepting the fact that roaming around a big city in a car full of people with blaring music,and eating those snacks by the beach is indeed fun too!!!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah.. It does get better just because others get too bored of our stories. But once you see a bunch of BITSians we rush back to discuss the good old days. Check this one

And vivitsa, you call me up for a BITS laccha and refuse to hangup until the charge in your cell gets over; for your room mates can take no more of BITSian talk. Do you have to explain more?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Srini said...

I would call this a "passing cloud". This is something most of us have been through in our lives. Don't look for a cure as time will be your best medicine. Till then, bask in the glory of your Bitsian days! :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Karthik Kumar Viswanathan said...

Sometimes, I do feel that way... The spirit still resides in us..

2:20 AM  
Blogger Harish said...

I had 2 roomies who were from BITS. Beleive me, it aint fun after an year!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Freeyavedu said...

Hi, I am new to your post. I m not a BITS-ian. Yet, I am very much similar to you. ( reason : I bore ppl around me with stories of my UG college.)

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home